Heel spurs are abnormal extension of bones present in heel to cause discomfort and pin, along with inflammation in the affected area. The people with active lifestyles and those belonging to sports field are more prone to this type of disorder. Also, the lifting of heavy objects may also lead to this problem. In order to fight heel spurs, there are number of home remedies popular in various parts of world.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Whenever a body part experiences discomfort, it is apple cider vinegar which always lends a helping hand. In case of heel spurs too, one may find it as the most significant home remedy. You may cut a paper in the shape of heel and soak it in apple cider vinegar. You may wear this regularly for 4-5 days and find relief from heel spurs.
- Orthopedic molds: These products are available in abundance in market and are quite effective in treating heel spurs. All you need to do is to place these molds under the heel in your shoes regularly and you may feel relieved from this abnormal situation.
- Borax solution: Borax solution is found to be effective in this condition. You may soak your feet regularly in this solution to feel the difference in pain and inflammation within few days.
- Chlorinated water: The water containing chlorine is also helpful in taking away the pain and binging down the inflammation caused in the area.
- Cabbage leaves: The green fresh cabbage leaves are also recommended. You may wrap these leaves around affected area and place a paper wrap around it.
- Coconut oil: The massage of coconut oil, along with intake of coconut capsules, is helpful in relieving the heel from pain and discomfort.
- Ice pack: The application of ice pack around affected area is quite helpful in reducing the pain and also works on the muscles to relax them and reduce the inflammation.
- Cheese cloth: The cheese cloth dipped in linseed oil could be wraped around the heel and make sure it stays there for few hours.
- Curcumin: The yellow pigment of turmeric called curcumin is also helpful in treating the condition. You may consume 500 mg of curcumin empty stomach in the early morning.
- Flaxseed: Flaxseed pack must be applied regularly to the affected area to bring down the pain as well as inflammation from the heels caused by spur formation.
- Calcium: The consumption of foods rich in calcium is helpful too
- Alfalfa tea: You may take alfalfa tea on regular basis and more than twice a day. By doing so, you may experience decrease in pain and discomfort level.
Tips for Heel or Bone Spur
- Some fruits and beverages can slow down the healing process and can disturb the mineral balance of the body. It is good to avoid these like coffee, citrus fruits, alcohol, sugar etc. from your diet.
- Boil the water before drinking or drink only distilled water
- Choose rubber healed shoes over leather shoes as former is better for your feet. You could also go for heel cushions for relief from pain
- Do not walk on hard surfaces. Walking on carpet, grass or sand is recommended while you are suffering from this condition
- Massaging bottom of the feet with ice could be helpful in getting rid of the pain. Alternating cold and hot bath for the feet could also bring in fast relief
- Avoid walking or jogging and instead you could go for cycling or swimming which are not harse on your feet