Grass, it is said, is essentially meant for cows! So, logically speaking, why would anyone want to consume grass? And how does one go about ‘drinking’ grass? These were the arguments put forward by my son, who is, typically, like peers of his age, very suspicious of anything vegetarian! But this should not dissuade anyone from knowing further about the benefits of drinking wheat grass.
Wheat grass, essentially, is sprouted wheat seeds. The sprouts should be 2 to 3 inches long before they are ready for consumption. The ‘grass’ has to be cut, and then put through a special juicer. It would not be wise to attempt to eat the grass as it is, as it is very fibrous. Very often, people complain of the ‘icky’ taste of this juice, and it is recommended that if it is too harsh on the taste buds, it could be mixed with some other juice.
It is recommended that this juice should be drunk on an empty stomach and in small amounts. Sip the juice slowly. 2 to 4 ounces should be consumed every day or on alternate days. This juice known to be very beneficial and nutrition experts claim that 25 ml of wheat grass juice is equivalent to 1 kilo of fresh garden vegetables.
The benefits of Wheat grass are:
- Wheat grass juice is also known to be referred as liquid oxygen, if consumed regularly, it improves the digestive system, prevents cancer and diabetes, prevents heart disease and cures constipation.
- It detoxifies the blood as it helps to get rid of the impurities in the blood system and it also cleanses the liver.
- It prevents in the loss of hair.
- Being non allergic in nature, drinking wheat grass juice contributes in the general well being of a person.
- Consumption of this liquid oxygen increases red blood cell count and it helps to lower the level of blood pressure in patients of hypertension.
- When a person drinks wheat grass juice, the thyroid is stimulated. This results in the working of the thyroid gland which, when stimulated, helps the thyroid to work normally. This is important in the treatment of obesity, indigestion and several other complaints.
It can be seen that this is indeed a wonderful natural ingredient! People who have drunk this juice for just 3 to 4 days have reported feeling very high levels of energy and the elimination of the lethargic feeling. Notwithstanding the bland taste, drinking wheat grass regularly is indeed beneficial for health. Cheers to that!