Foot cramps cause much discomfort and pain. You can get disturbed in your sleep. They usually occur during night when you are asleep or while resting. Dehydration, inadequate sodium intake, calcium, potassium and magnesium cause these cramps. Poor blood circulation, abnormal hormonal or mineral levels, chemical sensitivity, environmental toxicity are other reasons for foot cramps.
Foot cramps involves the painful contraction or tightening in the middle of one’s foot. One tries to crush the foot. The deep muscles located in the foot contract and knot up. They affect people of all ages.
Athletes often experience muscle cramps due to their the nature of work and workouts. Foot cramps are quite common with those having flexible knees or those with flat feet.
How to Prevent Foot Cramps at Night?
Prevention of Foot Cramps
The primary ways in which foot cramps could be prevented are:
- Try to avoid muscle fatigue and improve fitness.
- Regular warm up before exercises and stretch after that.
- Strengthening the calf muscle is essential.
- Stretching the quadriceps muscles.
- Stretching of the hamstring muscle.
Treatment of Foot Cramps
Top treatment methods for foot cramps are mentioned below:
- Vitamin E and Zinc are good.
- Eat a diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Sleep with your legs bent.
- Do not use high heels.
- Avoid sugar completely.
- Do not take caffeine.
- Soak the feet in warm water.
- Make use of heating pad for about 10 minutes before going to sleep at night.
Get relief from foot cramps. Why have a disturbed night sleep? After all, a restful night’s sleep is essential for the next day’s hard work.