Passing of gas in public can be very embarrassing. The urge to pass gas is so strong at times that the person cannot control it and people around him or her start laughing about it. The odor is also awful. Passing of gas is a very normal process but at times it becomes too frequent and loud and that is naturally not a healthy sign. One passes gas after a heavy meal. Lot of home remedies help in easy treatment for flatulence and we would discuss some of them below.
Nearly 30 to 40% of the people suffer from this health condition. Many feel embarrassed to talk about it to others or even their doctor. A healthy person passes gas 8 to 20 times in day.
Some people try to suppress it and due to it he/she is exposing themselves to abdominal discomfort. After food, we often expel gas from the mouth. We take this air while eating. If there is a sour taste after it, it is a sign of indigestion.
The gas is formed due to food not being digested properly. Food consumed must be broken down to sugar and amino acids in order to be consumed by the body. In certain foods, the complex sugars stops the breakdown process. This is due to the fact that person does not produce enough enzymes or the enzyme is not strong enough to do that. This food enters large intestine and begins to ferment which produces carbon dioxide hence Gas.
Treatment for flatulence
- Place a drop of peppermint in the glass of water you drink.
- Eliminate gas producing foods one at time rather than at one go.
- One must drink lots of water. Water helps in converting gas toxins in to liquid toxins.
- One must not eat full stomach.
- In case the problem is severe, then eat small amounts at a time.
- One can go in for Ayurvedic medicine as there are lots of herbs that can help in getting rid of flatulence.
- One can make use of carminatives to treat flatulence.
- One can treat gas by the use of digestives.
- Gas-expellers are available to get rid of gas.
- One must also control one’s stress levels.
- In case you suffer from flatulence, you must let your doctor know about it before he prescribes medicines.
What are the causes of passing gas?
- Indigestion is one reason for passing gas. People tend to eat as they please and all sorts of food. They may not be able to digest it well. This results in passing of gas quite often.
- When people swallow directly while performing different activities.
- Eating too much of fast foods.
- Having foods that produce more gas such as beans.
- Those who are lactose intolerant also pass gas.
- Nervousness also makes a person pass gas.
- Some drugs also cause gas such as antibiotics can cause gas.
- Bottled mineral waters can also cause gas.
Symptoms of flatulence:
- Excessive passing of gas.
- Loud noise while passing gas.
- Bad odor.
- The urge to pass gas is felt at the anus.
- The person suffering from it can either have constipation or diarrhea.
Prevention of flatulence:
- Whole grain cereals and bran.
- Fatty foods.
- Fried foods.
- Meat containing too much fat.
- Sauces, chutney and gravy.
- Fruits such as apples, bananas, grapes etc.
- One must chew the foods properly. Starchy foods get chewed quickly.
- One must not eat too fast.
- Bread made up of sour dough must be avoided.
Flatulence cause one much embarrassment when passed in social group. One can prevent it by regulating one’s diet and avoiding foods that form gas.