Lets have a look at few of the home remedy for sore tongue. Sore tongue is also termed as stomatitis and happens to be a common symptom. Most doctors feel it is a deficiency of B-complex and therefore prescribe B-complex tablets. This is not the situation in most cases. The tongue is very painful.
The very small projections that cover the tongue are called "papillae". Irregular teeth or perhaps plaque located at the back of the teeth often rub against the tongue when one is drinking or eating.
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) occurs mostly among people in their middle age. The burning sensation can last for week or can be chronic.
Causes of sore tongue and mouth
Causes of a Sore Tongue: It is a general belief that sore tongue is caused due to B-Complex deficiency. Whereas most common causes of a sore tongue is Antibiotic Glossitis. This is caused due to over use of antibiotic which results in:
- The normal bacterial flora gets disturbed as well as the over growth of an yeast known as Candida. It makes the tongue very sore and raw.
- Consumption of too much sugar leads to the overgrowth of the fungus.
- Irritation caused due to chemical imbalances in the tongue.
- B-Complex deficiency
- Irritation due to chemical imbalance in tongue.
In some people, the attack is more often. Ulcer appears in the tongue during its attack. It can be painful with yellow type appearance. This can appear and disappear without any reason.
Symptoms of sore tongue
- Dry and sore mouth.
- Burning sensation in the mouth, plate, lips, gums and tongue.
- Loss in one's taste.
- Bitter or metallic taste in the mouth.
Remedy for a Sore Tongue, Treatment for a Sore Tongue
The common Home Remedy for a Sore Tongue or treatment for a sore tongue are:
- Mix half tsp of turmeric with warm cup of milk. Use it 2 times a day.
- Fry the alum in frying pan. This will dehydrate the alum. Make a powder out of it and mix it with honey. Apply this on affected area.
- Fresh yoghurt is good. It should be part of the daily diet. It cures the burning sensation of the tongue and also helps in healing ulcers.
- One must take plenty of Vitamin C in the form of muskmelon, broccoli, red bell and yellow peppers, and unsweetened of cranberry juice. One can also have oranges and strawberries as they contain Vitamin C.
- Place a wet tea bag on the affected part. The tea bag will absorb the pain.
- Suck a piece of ice cube.
- Herbal teas are also good particularly chamomile tea.
- Use a soft brush toothbrush.
- Take multivitamins as well as mineral supplements.
- Consume folate sources such as beans, peas and lentils. It is good to take more of iron and Vitamin B. Lean beef, tofu, fortified cereals contain a lot of iron; seafood and meats have a lot of Vitamin B.
- Apply glycerine. It gives a cooling sensation.
- For meals have more of boiled vegetables
- Have honey with milk.
- Applying lavender oil is good. Leave it over-night. It is good anti-septic.
- Chewing sugar free chewing gums is also good.
A sore tongue can cause much discomfort while eating or drinking. One can go in for simple home remedies to treat it.