Ginger not only adds flavor to your cuisine, but also has curative properties. It is an ancient spice used in culinary dishes for taste. It has been used to treat several ailments and has been very popular as a natural remedy. It has no side effects on health. In ayurveda it is used to treat many health problems.
Ginger is a long and thick twisting rhizoid stem. It is considered to have originated in China, but is now grown in many other countries, which include West Asia, India, the Caribbean and West Africa. The spicy aroma is because it contains 3% essentials oils. It is marketed in health food shops in various forms such as tonics, tinctures, powder etc.
In ancient times it was quite popular as a medicine for ailments. The Greeks ate ginger wrapped up in bread after a heavy meal to improve digestion. The Chinese took ginger to avoid seasickness. In the East it is a popular ingredient in the preparation of various curries. In fact its health benefits have been familiar for over 2000 years.
It is used directly or in chopped form or in the form of powder. It has a very pungent taste. In the West it is used in the making of alcoholic beverages such as ginger wine and also in the preparation of sweets.Health Benefits of Ginger
- Useful in treating headaches.
- Helps in stomach upsets.
- Beneficial in menstrual cramps.
- One can use it in treating coughs.
- Helps in treating cancer. Latest research indicates it may stop the growth and spreading of cancer.
- Controls nausea.
- Keeps motion sickness at bay.
- Stimulates bile flow from the gallbladder, which helps in digestion.
- Relieves gases and bloating.
- Useful in the treatment of gastric ulcers.
- One can use it to treat colds.
- Helps in boosting bone health.
- Used for curing diarrhea.
- Beneficial in treating inflammation.
- It is beneficial in treating rheumatism.
- Helps in gout.
- Sexual deficiencies can also be treated with ginger.
- Useful for heart problems.
- Helps in high cholesterol.
- Beneficial for heart problems as well.
- Stimulates blood circulation.
- Lowers down LDL Cholesterol.
- It helps in the treatment of arthritis.
- Useful in curing anxiety disorders caused by stress.
- Have anti- fungal properties.
- Helps prevent blood clots.
Ginger adds taste to food items. It is also useful as a medicine to treat several health conditions. It is a common item in the kitchen in the East and in the West it is valued for its medicinal properties.