Dandruff mainly is a harmless disease of skin and scalp. This is characterized by formation of thin mica like scaling which leads to burning and itching sensation. This condition aggravates if the infected person scratches it. Papules are rough and there is no discharge. In excessive cases, it is irritating as it is related to bacteria. It is generally considered to be infectious and spreads through the use of combs and towels, hairbrushes and soaps. This condition is found more among young people. In this article we would look into causes of Dandruff and solutions.
One comes across two types of dandruff:
- Dry dandruff.
- Waxy dandruff.
Causes of Dandruff
Causes of Dandruff are not quite clear. However it is believed that it may be caused due to production of too much or too little sebaceous glands in the scalp.
In some cases, it may also cause due to fungal infection. Dandruff is caused when the skin on the scalp sheds its dead cells faster then in normal circumstances. The problem may become worse for the people with greasy skin.
Primary causes of dandruff are:
- Deficiency of zinc.
- Poor nutrition.
- Too much use of soaps and shampoos.
- Yeast infections.
Symptoms of Dandruff
Symptoms of Dandruff could be seen when white scales like substance are shed on the skin. Sometimes Dandruff could take a severe form such as seborrhea dramatis which is characterized by reddened, itchy or greasy scalp with formation of brownish scales in the hairs.
Homemade dandruff cure or Home remedy for dandruff
Homemade dandruff cure or Home remedy for dandruff includes:
- Use mild medicated shampoo to clean your hairs 2-3 times in a week
- Three parts of lemon juice mixed with one part of sandalwood oil could be applied on the affected part and is a very effective home remedy for dandruff.
- A mixture of Margosa oil and camphor could be applied on hairs and washed after some time.
- Blood purification medicines and itching preventions medicines could also be taken in dandruff.
- Indian Gooseberry (25 gms dried form) could be soaked in 1 ltr of water overnight. It should be boiled in the morning till half of water is evaporated. Add 25 gms of Yogurt to it and apply it on scalp. After an hour, it could be washed with water.
- Decoction of Bark of Margosa tree could be applied on scalp.
- Coconut oil with lemon juice is also an effective Home remedy for dandruff.
- Hot steam is good for the scalp as well as the scalp. Massage some hot oil and wrap the head in hot damp towel.
- Immerse lemon peels in coconut oil for about 8 to 10 days in sunshine. Now sieve it and apply the content on the hair. Hair will be dandruff free.
- Hot oil therapy is very good for getting rid of dandruff. Hot oil should be massaged onto the scalp before going off to sleep. The following morning before having a bath, rub the scalp with cotton wool some lemon juice which is mixed with cosmetic vinegar. Wash the hair well and use some lemon juice mixed in a hot cup of water as the final rinse. Carry on with this treatment once or twice a week for about 3 months.
- Mix about 2 tablespoonful of cosmetic vinegar and about 6 tablespoonful of hot water. Dab the scalp with this mix and let it be overnight. Next morning shampoo the hair.
- Mix the juice of beetroot in vinegar and apply it on the scalp. Beetroot juice and ginger juice mixed together can be applied on the scalp as well for good results.
- Snake guard juice can also be applied on the scalp.
- Mix about 2 tablespoonful of apple juice that is fresh with 2 tablespoonful of warm water. Apply the mix on the hair and let it be for about 15 to 20 minutes. After that rinse it off. Do this 2 to 3 times a week to get rid of dandruff.
- Soak about 2 tablespoonful fenugreek seeds in some water over night. Grind these softened seeds in the morning and apply the paste on your scalp. Let it be for about half an hour. Then wash your hair with shikkai or Rhitha solution.
- Exposing the head to the sunrays is also very good.
- Warm about 300 grams some coconut oil with about 3 grams of black pepper. Once it boils, stop the heat and sieve it with the help of a fine cloth and place it in bottle. Massage it gently on the head.
- Massage your scalp with a mix of almond oil and olive oil. Leave it on for about 5 minutes after one feels the burning sensation. The rinse the hair well.
- One can add cider vinegar to one's final rinsing of the hair after shampooing
- One also make use of teaspoonful of lime juice that is fresh as a final rinse. The hair glows after applying it and the stickiness is also not there.
- Mash some beetroot leaves in some paste of henna and apply the mix on the head to get rid of the dandruff.
- Massage the head with the curd that has been left open for about 3 days.
- Apply some lime juice that has been mixed with amla before sleeping every night.
- One can apply processed henna once in 15 days.
- Mix some green gram powder in curd and apply it.
- Beat about 2 eggs and add about 2 tablespoonful of water to it. Wet the hair and then apply the egg mix on the hair. Massage the scalp and leave the mixture on for about 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse the hair with lukewarm water.
Dandruff can be embarrassing. Use home remedies to get rid of it.